Derrick_Slider_Final

Welcome to The Bearded Blogger!

Derrick the Oiler showed up on campus in 2001 and is currently attending The University of Findlay but has zero intentions of graduating anytime soon because he loves this place and the students who make UF what it is!

Derrick is always walking around UF because he thinks he owns this school. Derrick is a double major in school spirit and pride with a double minor in sports awareness and dance. In his free time Derrick likes to dig for oil, help little old ladies cross the street, hangs out with the UF athletic teams and blog to the UF community. Derrick doesn’t talk but he sure does have a lot to say!

Follow Derrick the Oiler on Twitter and Facebook!

Facebook Oil Twitter Oil

Oilers Summer Bucket List

Posted by Derrick The Oiler in The Bearded Blogger. No Comments

10th May

It’s here and happening right now: SUMMER!

To most of OilerNation, summer means classes are over and campus feels like a ghost town. Summertime is a phrase that just sounds like easy-living with nothing to do and all day to do it. The long lazy days, beach weather, ice hitting your glass, watermelon, camp fires, traveling, sand between your toes, fireworks, BBQ, swim suits, and flip flops come to mind when I think about summer.

So what are you doing this summer? Got any big plans? If you said no, I’ve got you covered with a summer bucket list! A list of 20 ideas to add to your summer fun. Are you game? Let’s see how many you can do.

Have a water balloon fight! Depending on who’s playing, make sure you hide a squirt gun under your clothes, just in case!

Oiler Randomness at UF

9th April

This week’s blog has a little change of pace. I dipped into our archive
of pictures and found some that I wanted to share with you. These
pictures really help to explain how awesome UF is and how random
my life is!

Classic Findlay hat from way back when.

This is my pre-jump pose.

My weekly meetings with Dr. Fell always start like this.

BOOOOOM!

How many fingers do you see?

Photobomb. Level: Anger

Pole vaulting. You’re doing it wrong.

Photobomb. Level: Ghost

Not sure if they are getting ready for class or Geishas.

Showing the new students how to Dougie!

This is the reaction you get while you’re watching me dance!

When you see it…

Another reaction from my wicked dance moves!

Sleeping during class or a trigger finger on the camera?

I’m a little tea pot…

Gotta keep UF looking good!

“Derricking” on campus!

Focus.

No, my roommate isn’t here right now…wink, wink.

That rail just showed up out of nowhere!

College Life = COFFEE

1st March

Guys/Girls + College Life = COFFEE!

I’m sure you know at least one, or 17, coffee drinkers around campus. You know me, so maybe 18 then! The college life demands coffee, and students will get it any chance it’s accessible to them. You’re probably enjoying a cup right now, aren’t you?

Coffee is just different. You know the smell when it hits your nose. It’s a drink that you either love or hate. I’ve heard students and professors say that’s the first thing on their minds when they wake up. Love it or hate it, I’ve got some facts about coffee that you may not have known about.

Bush or Tree?

Things That Make You Go: Mind = Blown

Posted by Derrick The Oiler in The Bearded Blogger. 1 Comment

11th February

I’m sure that you’re out there in the social media world in some way, shape or form. I know I am! Facebook, Twitter, Google, Linkedin and YouTube are just a few. Social media is not a fad, not even close; it’s simply a common means to communicate. Like when you see a friend’s computer sitting there, all alone (you know where I’m going with this!), and deserted, and their Facebook page is open. That social media world is at the mercy of your fingertips! So naturally, you can’t help but type out how awesome you are and how lucky that friend is to know you!

Questionable Trending. Still Warmer Than a Hoodie.

30th January

It’s been so cold that my felt is freezing! Why am I still seeing students walking around campus in just a sweatshirt? I’ve even seen shorts and skirts! Come on Oilers! We need to dress smarter, stay warm and keep Oiler Nation healthy! However, if you insist on not bundling up, I’ve come up with a list of products that may be questionable trending choices, but at least you’ll be warm!

#6
Texting Gloves

These are arm-length gloves with a flap that you can pull back to free up your fingers to text. They aren’t for me, because my arms are made of felt and I can’t custom order three finger gloves either. Anyway, you have access to your fingertips at anytime and they will keep your forearms warm too! Perfect for cold classrooms when you’re taking notes or typing.

#5
HotSox

From the Blog

Wondering what it's really like to be at The University of Findlay? Follow our bloggers and read—and sometimes listen and watch—their experiences. Real Oilers. Real stories. Real life.

Grief and You

Letting go is never easy, no matter how much it may be necessary.  There is no easy way to say goodbye to people and...

It’s never too early to get experience

Meet Amber Dingeldein, Findlay’s Best!

So, you must get to know the most useful resource on campus that I discovered — the Internships...

Kid Sitting

Most of our time in the animal handling class is spent working with the baby goats (kids) — giving them shots and...

You’ve Been Pranked

I learned a valuable lesson last weekend — don’t leave your friends unattended in your room and do not leave your door unlocked! (Also,...

Students Have All The Fun!

It is hard to find a college like Findlay that has so many fun activities going on all the time for students to attend!...

Oh, Pi!

For mathematicians, March 14th is a very special day — Pi Day! Pi has a value of 3.14 and on March 14th the date...

Getting Down to Business

Click HERE for the Video!

For those who do not know, I am a Business Management and Marketing major. Choosing a college was...

A Life of Algorithms

So, do you know that feeling when you’re reading a textbook in high school and there is a little box in a different color...

Big Girl Shoes

Going to college is only partly about the classes.  It’s also about learning who you are and how to handle people who may be...

Can Spring Be Far Away?

It’s been sort-of a brutal winter here….

But no worries, this is what we’re dealing with now!

Now we’re back from Spring...

You deserve credit! Transferring PSO and dual enrollment credits from High School

Click HERE for the Video!

So many high schools are offering college courses as an option for students. These can be...

“Throwing” Sheep for Pedicures

In animal handling we have been doing everything from processing the piglets, lambs and kids to working with the lambs born last semester.

The past...

Study Abroad – Where there’s a will, there’s a way!

I can’t afford to study abroad!

This is the excuse I get from many students when I ask why they don’t take advantage of study...

My Thoughts About the “Freshman 15″

We always hear about the dreaded “freshman 15.” This is the myth that in your first year of college you...

My Theatre Home

I remember as part of theatre class freshman year having to watch a part of the rehearsal of the upcoming show before watching the...