Student Blogs

Grief and You

Posted by Emily Gajewski in Cheers, Ciao, Click. 1 Comment

17th April

Letting go is never easy, no matter how much it may be necessary.  There is no easy way to say goodbye to people and pets who have changed your life.  My family and I recently had to let go of the first family dog.  Hannah was a German-Shepard, Husky mix that could turn a “not-a-dog-person” into “I’m stealing your dog” with just a face lick.  She had the kindest personality with a little bit of sass thrown in for fun.  I was in elementary school when she came into our house as a puppy and the kids poured our time and love into her.  She was there as a rock and example for our other two dogs Maddie and Piper as well as every member of the family.  She had the best welcome home face before rolling over so you … Read More »

It’s never too early to get experience

Posted by Shannon Ebert in A Fresh Take. No Comments

15th April

Meet Amber Dingeldein, Findlay’s Best!

So, you must get to know the most useful resource on campus that I discovered — the Internships and Placement Office (Career Services.) This office is packed with a team of people who are ready to help students enhance their careers. Most students go here for help building their resumes, learning interview skills, finding internships, connecting with employers, and finding jobs. Being prepared and gaining knowledge to help in going down your career path are essential. It is important to always start early, especially as a freshman. The earlier you can connect with companies and gain experience, the better opportunities that will come your way.

Kid Sitting

Posted by Madison Simmons in Tales from the Barn. No Comments

9th April

Most of our time in the animal handling class is spent working with the baby goats (kids) — giving them shots and ear tagging. There are two shots that we give to every animal in the barn and they are BoSe and CDT. Just the other day, we had a large task at hand which required all of the kids in the pen to be rounded up and put into the creep area. A creep is a blocked off corner that only the kids can reach and where extra supplements and food can be given without the ewes, (mother goats) getting into it.

You’ve Been Pranked

Posted by Madison Simmons in Tales from the Barn. 2 comments

31st March

I learned a valuable lesson last weekend — don’t leave your friends unattended in your room and do not leave your door unlocked! (Also, pranks lead to more pranks!)

I was chilling in my friend’s room down the hall from mine when I saw three of my friends come out of my room. I was confused about what they were doing in my building and even my room. I walked down and hung out with them for a little bit, but I needed to go to a friend’s room in a different building to watch the basketball game. So I left my friends with all of my trust in them that they wouldn’t do anything bad or break something.

Students Have All The Fun!

31st March

It is hard to find a college like Findlay that has so many fun activities going on all the time for students to attend! I just love how much the university provides for us to do! This year I have been to so many events that were so much fun and there were so many others that I wish I would have participated in. I can not wait to share all the exciting things I have done this year. Here is a brief list of some of the events I attended:

Oh, Pi!

30th March

For mathematicians, March 14th is a very special day — Pi Day! Pi has a value of 3.14 and on March 14th the date corresponds to the value of Pi. In years past, I have always had pie in my math class or did something special to commemorate the day. However, this year I went without pie for most of the day. I was very disappointed I couldn’t share in the celebration of Pi Day. On March 14 I was doing some homework with my friends when the RD of the Haven offered us some strawberry cream pie!

Getting Down to Business

27th March

Click HERE for the Video!

For those who do not know, I am a Business Management and Marketing major. Choosing a college was difficult for me, since business is such a broad major that is very common at most colleges. At first I was nervous to pursue Findlay’s business program since it isn’t one of UF’s niche majors. By now I know how completely mistaken I was in thinking this! The professors are outstanding, classes are challenging yet rewarding, and every opportunity for success is available to me. It does not matter how well known a program is at a college. Students need to understand that if they put themselves out there and work hard, success will come no matter what college they attend. I am loving what I do and am so confident about my career decision.

Big Girl Shoes

Posted by Emily Gajewski in Cheers, Ciao, Click. No Comments

18th March

Going to college is only partly about the classes.  It’s also about learning who you are and how to handle people who may be very different from you.  You learn how to take care of yourself, you learn time management and you’ll make mistakes.  You will make so many mistakes.  You will doubt your career path or even change the whole direction of your life.  That’s part of the experience (I’m assured).

That doesn’t make it any easier.  You will sit awake at 2 a.m. and doubt every decision you have ever made.  Take a deep breath.  People will challenge your dreams — let them.  You will challenge your decisions — avoid this.  Stick to what you feel is right for you, and fight for that.  A note of caution: keep the gloves on.  Do not confront unprofessional treatment with unprofessional … Read More »

You deserve credit! Transferring PSO and dual enrollment credits from High School

6th March

Click HERE for the Video!

So many high schools are offering college courses as an option for students. These can be located at the student’s high school (dual enrollment), or they can be at a nearby university (postsecondary options). The great thing about this is that high school students can earn free or low cost college credits that satisfy high school requirements and college requirements at the same time. While I was in high school, I earned 62 free college credits through the postsecondary option program! Fortunately, during my junior year of high school, I made my college decision to attend The University of Findlay  This allowed me to schedule my courses based on what I learned would satisfy my general education requirements for my major. Also, I was able to work with the registrar’s office ahead of … Read More »

“Throwing” Sheep for Pedicures

28th February

In animal handling we have been doing everything from processing the piglets, lambs and kids to working with the lambs born last semester.

The past few classes we have been in the sheep pen throwing sheep. Throwing? Yeah, we throw them as far as we can to show off our strength. (Just joking!) No, although it is called “throwing” sheep, we are learning the technique of lifting up the sheep’s flank and putting them on their rump. When the sheep are on their rumps it is easier to restrain them, and they cannot move as freely. So we went to work on trimming their hooves. To trim their feet we use hoof trimmers that look a lot like flower pruners.

From the Blog

Wondering what it's really like to be at The University of Findlay? Follow our bloggers and read—and sometimes listen and watch—their experiences. Real Oilers. Real stories. Real life.

A Weekend in Orlando

This spring, a group of Findlay pharmacy students and faculty had the opportunity to travel down to Orlando, FL for the national American Pharmacists...

SSC

What would you say to a whole day off of classes, free food everywhere, plus students and faculty getting awards and showing...

Grief and You

Letting go is never easy, no matter how much it may be necessary.  There is no easy way to say goodbye to people and...

It’s never too early to get experience

Meet Amber Dingeldein, Findlay’s Best!

So, you must get to know the most useful resource on campus that I discovered — the Internships...

Kid Sitting

Most of our time in the animal handling class is spent working with the baby goats (kids) — giving them shots and...

You’ve Been Pranked

I learned a valuable lesson last weekend — don’t leave your friends unattended in your room and do not leave your door unlocked! (Also,...

Students Have All The Fun!

It is hard to find a college like Findlay that has so many fun activities going on all the time for students to attend!...

Oh, Pi!

For mathematicians, March 14th is a very special day — Pi Day! Pi has a value of 3.14 and on March 14th the date...

Getting Down to Business

Click HERE for the Video!

For those who do not know, I am a Business Management and Marketing major. Choosing a college was...

A Life of Algorithms

So, do you know that feeling when you’re reading a textbook in high school and there is a little box in a different color...

Big Girl Shoes

Going to college is only partly about the classes.  It’s also about learning who you are and how to handle people who may be...

Can Spring Be Far Away?

It’s been sort-of a brutal winter here….

But no worries, this is what we’re dealing with now!

Now we’re back from Spring...

Click HERE for the Video!

So many high schools are offering college courses as an option for students. These can be...

“Throwing” Sheep for Pedicures

The past...

Study Abroad – Where there’s a will, there’s a way!

I can’t afford to study abroad!

This is the excuse I get from many students when I ask why they don’t take advantage of study...