Student Blogs

Madison Simmons, RA!

Posted by Madison Simmons in Tales from the Barn. No Comments

13th August

So it looked and seemed like forever until it was move-in day, but it came up really fast. This year, I am honored and have the privilege of being a Resident Assistant (RA). With only one year under my belt at UF, I am kind of nervous, but excited at the same time. I’m sure it will be a great year!

As RAs we arrive at campus two weeks before students do so that we can attend training. With a few days into the training, I will definitely say it is a little weird and extremely quiet having no one around. Its both nice and makes you feel out of place when you are used to having four boys in your house all summer. Our training consists of team building activities, ice breakers, getting to know each other and … Read More »

Back from Japan and back on a farm!

31st July

Now that I’m back from Japan, I stay busy working at Belle Vie Farm and doing some landscaping.  At the farm, there is never a dull moment when working from sun up to sun down. I’ll be working there until it’s time for me to head back to UF for fall semester. I absolutely love it!

Belle Vie Farm is a one of a kind farm in Honeoye Falls, New York, that is iron free — no bits or shoes. At the farm, we have 18 horses that are either in training or are used for lessons. Each horse has its own story and past that makes them a unique challenge and enjoyment to work with. I have seen unrideable horses progress to the point of trotting around the arena with a rider on their back as a … Read More »

Goodbyes and Good Food!

14th July

Our last week in Japan went by super fast. The first half of the week consisted of saying our goodbyes to everyone at Rakuno Gakuen University as we would be leaving Hokkaido on Wednesday and head to Tokyo.

During the last weekend in Hokkaido we attended the Yosakoi Dance Festival where different Japanese groups compete against each other. Rakuno Gakuen University had a team that was performing so we went to cheer them on and watch some of the other talented groups perform as well.

Tokyo, Tomoya and Tomoki!

9th July

Our last three days in Japan were spent sight seeing and shopping around in Tokyo. Tokyo is a humongous city!! I hadn’t realized how big the city actually was until I looked at the train map. It was overwhelming, but impressive at the same time. When we arrived in Tokyo we met up with a UF professor, Dr. Kawamura, who had been working with us this past spring semester.

Week 2 at Rakuno Gakuen University

Posted by risser in Tales from the Barn. No Comments

13th June

Our second week is done and was full of some new adventures and experiences in the animal clinic at Rakuno Gakuen University. While working in the clinic, I was able to see two eye surgeries — one where the dog had glaucoma in the eye and was getting a prosthetic eye. It was so cool! The next day we got to see a spinal cord surgery. The dog was an old Dachshund that was showing lameness in its hind legs. After several X-rays and an MRI, the veterinarian saw many compressions of the spine. There was one really bad compression of the spinal cord, so the veterinarian decided to do surgery to remove the compression.

An appetite for adventure!

3rd June

(Editor’s Note: Madison is on a summer study tour for pre-veterinary medicine students at Rakuno Gakuen University in Ebetsu, Hokkaido, Japan. The University of Findlay established a partnership for cultural and academic exchange experiences with Rakuno Gakuen University in 2008.)

Hello from Japan!

After a thirteen hour flight from a six hour layover in Chicago, my colleagues and I made it safely to Japan. Once out of the airport, our adventures began along with a busy schedule. We have begun to attend classes at the Rakuno Gakuen University. Among our great experiences so far: we witnessed a bear necropsy, saw dolphins and milked the school’s dairy cows early in the morning. This week our activities include doing clinicals in the school’s animal hospital. Yesterday we got to see two eye surgeries and do x-rays — I’m learning so much!

What a year!

6th May

I have just finished one of the best years of my life! Finishing my first year of college feels amazing and quite an accomplishment. I’m most definitely going to miss all my friends, the laughter and adventures – in fact, I already do!  I couldn’t have asked for anything better than what I got. My floor mates were absolutely amazing as we always had an open door policy, movie nights, homework study sessions, fun and time to just chill together.

Saying Goodbye

Posted by Emily Gajewski in Cheers, Ciao, Click. No Comments

1st May

A couple weeks ago I closed my last show at Findlay.  It was bittersweet, as have been all the goodbyes I’ve said.  I know theatre is something I will take into the rest of my life, but I know that I will miss the people I have worked with these past four years at Findlay.

It is truly amazing how much college will change you.  If you open yourself up to new activities and never get tired of asking questions, you will leave college with few regrets.  But you can’t do everything, and at the end of the four years there will be things you wish you had done more of.  I wish I had done more intramural sports.  I miss playing sports and wish I had become a part of that community of students.  But I invested my time into … Read More »

It’s Crunch Time!

Posted by Shannon Ebert in A Fresh Take. No Comments

29th April

The year has been winding down quickly! It feels like just yesterday I was moving in, meeting my roommate, unpacking my stuff, and saying hello to Findlay. In less than a week I will have completed my first year of college and will no longer be a freshman.

Finals are approaching and fast! This semester I will have six and I am so thankful that none of them are cumulative! If you do not know what that means, it means that they are just like any other test, and do not cover material from the whole semester. This might be the biggest relief of the year! It makes studying easier, because you have to focus on a few chapters instead of like twenty.

Graduation Bucketlist

28th April

Over the course of four years it’s tough to keep track of all the things you’ve done and the things still left to do before graduation.  From exploring the city of Findlay to participating on campus, here’s just some of the things you’ve got to do before you graduate.

1. Go to the Findlay Reservoir. I didn’t get to the reservoir until my senior year, and I wish I had discovered it earlier. There are paths around the water as well as in the surrounding woods. There’s also a great dog park and the park is usually filled with people enjoying the weather… when the weather is nice that is.

From the Blog

Wondering what it's really like to be at The University of Findlay? Follow our bloggers and read—and sometimes listen and watch—their experiences. Real Oilers. Real stories. Real life.

Madison Simmons, RA!

So it looked and seemed like forever until it was move-in day, but it came up really fast. This year, I am honored and...

Back from Japan and back on a farm!

Now that I’m back from Japan, I stay busy working at Belle Vie Farm and doing some landscaping.  At the...

Goodbyes and Good Food!

Our last week in Japan went by super fast. The first half of the week consisted of saying our goodbyes to everyone at Rakuno...

Tokyo, Tomoya and Tomoki!

Our last three days in Japan were spent sight seeing and shopping around in Tokyo. Tokyo is a humongous city!!...

Week 2 at Rakuno Gakuen University

Our second week is done and was full of some new adventures and experiences in the animal clinic at Rakuno Gakuen University. While working...

An appetite for adventure!

(Editor’s Note: Madison is on a summer study tour for pre-veterinary medicine students at Rakuno Gakuen University in Ebetsu, Hokkaido, Japan. The University of...

What a year!

I have just finished one of the best years of my life! Finishing my first year of college feels amazing and quite an accomplishment....

Saying Goodbye

A couple weeks ago I closed my last show at Findlay.  It was bittersweet, as have been all the goodbyes I’ve said.  I know...

It’s Crunch Time!

The year has been winding down quickly! It feels like just yesterday I was moving in, meeting my roommate, unpacking my stuff, and saying...

Graduation Bucketlist

Over the course of four years it’s tough to keep track of all the things you’ve done and the things still left to do...

A Weekend in Orlando

This spring, a group of Findlay pharmacy students and faculty had the opportunity to travel down to Orlando, FL for the national American Pharmacists...

SSC

What would you say to a whole day off of classes, free food everywhere, plus students and faculty getting awards and showing...

Grief and You

Letting go is never easy, no matter how much it may be necessary.  There is no easy way to say goodbye to people and...

It’s never too early to get experience

Meet Amber Dingeldein, Findlay’s Best!

So, you must get to know the most useful resource on campus that I discovered — the Internships...

Kid Sitting

Most of our time in the animal handling class is spent working with the baby goats (kids) — giving them shots and...