Horsemanship final – me and Moby in it together!

Posted on January 15th, by Madison Simmons in Tales from the Barn. 2 comments

Looking good, feeling great and performing well – my goals in approaching this final exam. The day before my final, I thoroughly washed Moby because he really needed a bath. To survive the night while he was wet I put a cooling blanket on him so that he would not get dirty and help him to stay warm. When I came in the next day he was so clean, soft and shiny! It was time to get ready for this test.

It was finals day and I figured, “why not go all out?” Moby’s mop of a mane and tail both needed to be braided. I have never braided a horse’s tail or mane, so it was a time of learning for me.

IMG_1981After getting Moby all done up, I finished saddling him and headed to get myself ready in a nice, clean button down shirt.

Our test consisted of doing some rail work, bending, horsemanship and then a pattern. We were given the pattern well in advance and were allowed to practice it in class leading up to the test. This was nice, but it was a little nerve racking thinking that you had only one chance to do your best error-free performance. I feel like everything in life has other opportunities to show what you can do, but our final was not like that. I felt like I was taking my driver’s test all over again with just a few minutes to impress my teachers and do everything free of imperfection. That’s not stressful at all!

IMG_1997After it was all done, it felt great! I thought Moby and I had done a great job and was very proud of my performance. We got some extra time to ride around on our own before putting the horses back and saying good-bye till the next semester.

Even though Moby was not the best ride, I did start to like him. Although I think I will just enjoy him from the ground and not so much from the saddle in the future.

I cannot wait until next semester and to ride again. It’s going to be so much fun and with the same amazing group of friends!

From the Blog

Wondering what it's really like to be at The University of Findlay? Follow our bloggers and read—and sometimes listen and watch—their experiences. Real Oilers. Real stories. Real life.

Goodbyes and Good Food!

Our last week in Japan went by super fast. The first half of the week consisted of saying our goodbyes to everyone at Rakuno...

Tokyo, Tomoya and Tomoki!

Our last three days in Japan were spent sight seeing and shopping around in Tokyo. Tokyo is a humongous city!!...

Week 2 at Rakuno Gakuen University

Our second week is done and was full of some new adventures and experiences in the animal clinic at Rakuno Gakuen University. While working...

An appetite for adventure!

(Editor’s Note: Madison is on a summer study tour for pre-veterinary medicine students at Rakuno Gakuen University in Ebetsu, Hokkaido, Japan. The University of...

What a year!

I have just finished one of the best years of my life! Finishing my first year of college feels amazing and quite an accomplishment....

Saying Goodbye

A couple weeks ago I closed my last show at Findlay.  It was bittersweet, as have been all the goodbyes I’ve said.  I know...

It’s Crunch Time!

The year has been winding down quickly! It feels like just yesterday I was moving in, meeting my roommate, unpacking my stuff, and saying...

Graduation Bucketlist

Over the course of four years it’s tough to keep track of all the things you’ve done and the things still left to do...

A Weekend in Orlando

This spring, a group of Findlay pharmacy students and faculty had the opportunity to travel down to Orlando, FL for the national American Pharmacists...

SSC

What would you say to a whole day off of classes, free food everywhere, plus students and faculty getting awards and showing...

Grief and You

Letting go is never easy, no matter how much it may be necessary.  There is no easy way to say goodbye to people and...

It’s never too early to get experience

Meet Amber Dingeldein, Findlay’s Best!

So, you must get to know the most useful resource on campus that I discovered — the Internships...

Kid Sitting

Most of our time in the animal handling class is spent working with the baby goats (kids) — giving them shots and...

You’ve Been Pranked

I learned a valuable lesson last weekend — don’t leave your friends unattended in your room and do not leave your door unlocked! (Also,...

Students Have All The Fun!

It is hard to find a college like Findlay that has so many fun activities going on all the time for students to attend!...