Equine Supplements – A Veterinarian’s View

Posted on March 14th, by sciences in Right from the Start. 1 Comment

by Linda Peck, DVM, professor of biology and director of the Animal Science Program

When considering feeding supplements for your horse, you need to take into consideration his workload and your geographical location.

Here in northwest Ohio, our soil is deficient in selenium.  Although toxic in large amounts, trace amounts of selenium are needed for proper cellular function in animals.  I recommend a mineralized salt block that you can put in a holder in your horse’s stall. Unlike people, horses will only take in as much minerals as they need, so no worries about him “overdosing” on salt blocks!  In some cases with young animals we use injectable selenium, but that would be up to your veterinarian.

Nothing can take the place of good grass and hay.

For horses that are worked or ridden several times a week, I also recommend a joint supplement like Cosequin.  Also, don’t wait until your horse is lame before starting it.  Joint supplements are good preventive medicine, especially when horses do more than just stand in the stall or pasture.

Of course, no supplement can take the place of good quality grass and hay.  In our area, the alfalfa crop was hit very hard by last year’s drought, so it’s getting more difficult to find nutritious forage.  If you rely completely on pasture for your horse during spring and summer, keep n mind that pastures lose nutrition as they “mature.”

Remember, horses are meant to live outside and graze almost continually.  It seems we run into trouble when we keep horses inside, even though it may be well intended.  With a waterproof sheet and a three-sided shelter, most horses can fare quite well outdoors year ‘round.  To keep them interested and grazing during winter months, feed grain in at least two meals a day and scatter hay around the pasture.  It takes some creativity to mimic what comes naturally to our horses.

I’m tempted to try one of the “calming” supplements for high-strung horses or those that spook easily.  I’ve heard different results from these and would like to try them myself to see if they really make a difference.  My last suggestion for show horses whose coats just don’t seem to shine like they should, is adding a balance of Omega 3 and Omega 6 to their feed.  Again, it’s always best to ask your veterinarian before putting your horse on a supplement regimen.

photo credit: Achromatic Lodge via http://photopin.com, http://creativecommons.org

• Alvin Payne

I just got some hoof supplements to help with growth and progress. My horses seem to love it.

From the Blog

Wondering what it's really like to be at The University of Findlay? Follow our bloggers and read—and sometimes listen and watch—their experiences. Real Oilers. Real stories. Real life.

Goodbyes and Good Food!

Our last week in Japan went by super fast. The first half of the week consisted of saying our goodbyes to everyone at Rakuno...

Tokyo, Tomoya and Tomoki!

Our last three days in Japan were spent sight seeing and shopping around in Tokyo. Tokyo is a humongous city!!...

Week 2 at Rakuno Gakuen University

Our second week is done and was full of some new adventures and experiences in the animal clinic at Rakuno Gakuen University. While working...

An appetite for adventure!

(Editor’s Note: Madison is on a summer study tour for pre-veterinary medicine students at Rakuno Gakuen University in Ebetsu, Hokkaido, Japan. The University of...

What a year!

I have just finished one of the best years of my life! Finishing my first year of college feels amazing and quite an accomplishment....

Saying Goodbye

A couple weeks ago I closed my last show at Findlay.  It was bittersweet, as have been all the goodbyes I’ve said.  I know...

It’s Crunch Time!

The year has been winding down quickly! It feels like just yesterday I was moving in, meeting my roommate, unpacking my stuff, and saying...

Graduation Bucketlist

Over the course of four years it’s tough to keep track of all the things you’ve done and the things still left to do...

A Weekend in Orlando

This spring, a group of Findlay pharmacy students and faculty had the opportunity to travel down to Orlando, FL for the national American Pharmacists...

SSC

What would you say to a whole day off of classes, free food everywhere, plus students and faculty getting awards and showing...

Grief and You

Letting go is never easy, no matter how much it may be necessary.  There is no easy way to say goodbye to people and...

It’s never too early to get experience

Meet Amber Dingeldein, Findlay’s Best!

So, you must get to know the most useful resource on campus that I discovered — the Internships...

Kid Sitting

Most of our time in the animal handling class is spent working with the baby goats (kids) — giving them shots and...

You’ve Been Pranked

I learned a valuable lesson last weekend — don’t leave your friends unattended in your room and do not leave your door unlocked! (Also,...

Students Have All The Fun!

It is hard to find a college like Findlay that has so many fun activities going on all the time for students to attend!...