Are Equine Supplements Worth It?

Posted on February 15th, by Barb Lockard in Right from the Start. 3 comments

By Linda Werst, barn manager, The University of Findlay western farm

Let’s face it, feeding a horse is expensive.  Adding daily supplements can increase that expense, not to mention the extra time spent measuring and remembering who gets what.  So. . .is purchasing something for healthier joints, hooves, manes and tails, coats, bones and teeth worth the cost?Horses eating

At The University of Findlay western farm, we can accommodate more than 300 horses, so we try to be efficient when we feed.  We do not use a single supplement “across the board” for every horse. We feed a 14% Kalmbach pellet and high quality alfalfa/orchard grass hay. Good hay can meet most of the dietary requirements of our horses.

We do feed a product called, “Essential K,” made by Kalmbach Feeds here in Ohio, to some of our overweight horses.  Essential K has fewer calories than regular feed and the horses get one-half pound (with their hay) in the morning and evening.  Some of our horses do  not digest carbohydrates well, and they are fed a  Kalmbach product, “K Finish” which is a high fat supplement.

Joint supplements are sometimes good for horses who have arthritis and those whose “jobs” cause a lot of joint strain, like reiners, cutters and jumpers.  There are a lot of choices when it comes to joint supplements, and we have been using one called Finish Line HA that sells for about $85/gallon.  There are also injectable glucosamine products that work well and more quickly than those administered orally.

I don’t know of anyone who has had a lot of success with “calming” supplements and we do not use any at the University.  These are usually made for mares and sometimes contain hormones.  Topical hoof remedies can be helpful during the summer when hoofs become dry and brittle, although our farrier recommends just running a hose on the coronary band and hoof to keep it moist.

I do think that you can “over supplement” a horse, at least from a financial standpoint.  Supplements that are simply flushed out in the horse’s urine are a waste of time and money.  Reading the dosage is important, and remember that it can take up to six weeks for a supplement to take effect.

Probably the best investment you can make in your horse’s nutrition is good quality hay.  This should meet most of his dietary requirements.  A few things to look for when buying hay:

• Good color (dark green, leafy)
  • Smaller stems
  • Free of dust and mold; not gray
  • Not too compact or hard
  • Fresh smell

Next article: A veterinarian looks at supplements.

photo credit: Tammra McCauley -  http://photopin.com

• James Norris

Thanks for sharing this information. I hope that people use the horse supplements because they are great for those horses that we have.

• ilkaguachi

My spouse and i absolutely agree. When i am seeking horse
    hoof supplements
    My spouse and i simply received using those that are
    usually 100 % pure as they are so much better.

• Chester Jones

I had no idea there was so much to do with horses and nutrition! It makes me want to talk to my friends more about the horse joint supplements they use.

From the Blog

Wondering what it's really like to be at The University of Findlay? Follow our bloggers and read—and sometimes listen and watch—their experiences. Real Oilers. Real stories. Real life.

Barn Rodeo!

Monday morning was exciting and fun as I went to the barn to help break in the new calves for the Show Cattle Team....

Madison Simmons, RA!

So it looked and seemed like forever until it was move-in day, but it came up really fast. This year, I am honored and...

Back from Japan and back on a farm!

Now that I’m back from Japan, I stay busy working at Belle Vie Farm and doing some landscaping.  At the...

Goodbyes and Good Food!

Our last week in Japan went by super fast. The first half of the week consisted of saying our goodbyes to everyone at Rakuno...

Tokyo, Tomoya and Tomoki!

Our last three days in Japan were spent sight seeing and shopping around in Tokyo. Tokyo is a humongous city!!...

Week 2 at Rakuno Gakuen University

Our second week is done and was full of some new adventures and experiences in the animal clinic at Rakuno Gakuen University. While working...

An appetite for adventure!

(Editor’s Note: Madison is on a summer study tour for pre-veterinary medicine students at Rakuno Gakuen University in Ebetsu, Hokkaido, Japan. The University of...

What a year!

I have just finished one of the best years of my life! Finishing my first year of college feels amazing and quite an accomplishment....

Saying Goodbye

A couple weeks ago I closed my last show at Findlay.  It was bittersweet, as have been all the goodbyes I’ve said.  I know...

It’s Crunch Time!

The year has been winding down quickly! It feels like just yesterday I was moving in, meeting my roommate, unpacking my stuff, and saying...

Graduation Bucketlist

Over the course of four years it’s tough to keep track of all the things you’ve done and the things still left to do...

A Weekend in Orlando

This spring, a group of Findlay pharmacy students and faculty had the opportunity to travel down to Orlando, FL for the national American Pharmacists...

SSC

What would you say to a whole day off of classes, free food everywhere, plus students and faculty getting awards and showing...

Grief and You

Letting go is never easy, no matter how much it may be necessary.  There is no easy way to say goodbye to people and...

It’s never too early to get experience

Meet Amber Dingeldein, Findlay’s Best!

So, you must get to know the most useful resource on campus that I discovered — the Internships...