A Change in the Weather

Posted on November 8th, by Khushboo leuva in Earning a Degree - Learning a Culture. 1 Comment

umbrellaIndia has only three predominant seasons — they are the summer season, rainy season and winter season. The summer months last from about March to June, the rainy season stretches from June to October and the winter season remains in India from November to March. Various climatic factors are responsible for the seasonal changes in India. The monsoon season brings heavy clouds drenching most parts of India. In a country like India where the summer is very hot, it is natural for the people to wish for the arrival of rain.  In the summer season, most parts of India are scorched with sweltering heat, but the Indian winter is usually mild and enjoyable.

When I moved to Findlay, I was amazed to find its seasonal changes. One of the first things I noticed upon reaching here was how everything is flat terrain and it’s very spread out. Findlay is located in the flats of the Northwest part of Ohio. We experience a lot of wind, but not too much like other cities Chicago or Cleveland.

Out of the four seasons we experience here, I find the spring and fall rain and winter snow to be my favorite part of the weather. At first, I wasn’t familiar with the pattern of rain in Findlay, because in my mind, rain always meant raining heavily for 4-5 hrs and then none for a few days. But when I moved here my perception changed completely. My first experience in rain was amazing because I remember walking back home from class in a hurry to avoid getting wet. Within no time it started raining heavily, but by the time I reached home, I was amazed to see that it stopped raining in just a few minutes. This incident was one of the many experiences I had adjusting to Findlay weather.hot chocolate

During the winter time, when temperatures drop below zero degrees (Celsius), I like the feeling of staying at home and watching snow with my favorite drink (which is hot chocolate with marshmallows). My first experience with snow was amazing! I was excited to see real snow because we don’t get snow in my country. With the winter temperatures, I prefer wearing layered clothes so that I don’t get caught with a cold or fever. Even when we have snow in Findlay, everything is easily accessible on campus, so there is less possibility to miss any the fun of college life. For instance, my house is only a few blocks away from our Old Main building where I attend most of my classes, so during the winter I’m rarely late for my classes. It only takes 5-10 minutes for me to walk in the snow.snow and Old Main

Overall, I can say that I love exploring weather over here. It has been a great experience so far and I am looking forward to explore more as time passes.

photo credits: HKmPUA via photopin cc, rocket ship via photopin cc

• Ryan

There are random toronadoes in western Ohio. Usually in the spring.

From the Blog

Wondering what it's really like to be at The University of Findlay? Follow our bloggers and read—and sometimes listen and watch—their experiences. Real Oilers. Real stories. Real life.

Grief and You

Letting go is never easy, no matter how much it may be necessary.  There is no easy way to say goodbye to people and...

It’s never too early to get experience

Meet Amber Dingeldein, Findlay’s Best!

So, you must get to know the most useful resource on campus that I discovered — the Internships...

Kid Sitting

Most of our time in the animal handling class is spent working with the baby goats (kids) — giving them shots and...

You’ve Been Pranked

I learned a valuable lesson last weekend — don’t leave your friends unattended in your room and do not leave your door unlocked! (Also,...

Students Have All The Fun!

It is hard to find a college like Findlay that has so many fun activities going on all the time for students to attend!...

Oh, Pi!

For mathematicians, March 14th is a very special day — Pi Day! Pi has a value of 3.14 and on March 14th the date...

Getting Down to Business

Click HERE for the Video!

For those who do not know, I am a Business Management and Marketing major. Choosing a college was...

A Life of Algorithms

So, do you know that feeling when you’re reading a textbook in high school and there is a little box in a different color...

Big Girl Shoes

Going to college is only partly about the classes.  It’s also about learning who you are and how to handle people who may be...

Can Spring Be Far Away?

It’s been sort-of a brutal winter here….

But no worries, this is what we’re dealing with now!

Now we’re back from Spring...

You deserve credit! Transferring PSO and dual enrollment credits from High School

Click HERE for the Video!

So many high schools are offering college courses as an option for students. These can be...

“Throwing” Sheep for Pedicures

In animal handling we have been doing everything from processing the piglets, lambs and kids to working with the lambs born last semester.

The past...

Study Abroad – Where there’s a will, there’s a way!

I can’t afford to study abroad!

This is the excuse I get from many students when I ask why they don’t take advantage of study...

My Thoughts About the “Freshman 15″

We always hear about the dreaded “freshman 15.” This is the myth that in your first year of college you...

My Theatre Home

I remember as part of theatre class freshman year having to watch a part of the rehearsal of the upcoming show before watching the...