A Change in the Weather

Posted on November 8th, by Khushboo leuva in Earning a Degree - Learning a Culture. 1 Comment

umbrellaIndia has only three predominant seasons — they are the summer season, rainy season and winter season. The summer months last from about March to June, the rainy season stretches from June to October and the winter season remains in India from November to March. Various climatic factors are responsible for the seasonal changes in India. The monsoon season brings heavy clouds drenching most parts of India. In a country like India where the summer is very hot, it is natural for the people to wish for the arrival of rain.  In the summer season, most parts of India are scorched with sweltering heat, but the Indian winter is usually mild and enjoyable.

When I moved to Findlay, I was amazed to find its seasonal changes. One of the first things I noticed upon reaching here was how everything is flat terrain and it’s very spread out. Findlay is located in the flats of the Northwest part of Ohio. We experience a lot of wind, but not too much like other cities Chicago or Cleveland.

Out of the four seasons we experience here, I find the spring and fall rain and winter snow to be my favorite part of the weather. At first, I wasn’t familiar with the pattern of rain in Findlay, because in my mind, rain always meant raining heavily for 4-5 hrs and then none for a few days. But when I moved here my perception changed completely. My first experience in rain was amazing because I remember walking back home from class in a hurry to avoid getting wet. Within no time it started raining heavily, but by the time I reached home, I was amazed to see that it stopped raining in just a few minutes. This incident was one of the many experiences I had adjusting to Findlay weather.hot chocolate

During the winter time, when temperatures drop below zero degrees (Celsius), I like the feeling of staying at home and watching snow with my favorite drink (which is hot chocolate with marshmallows). My first experience with snow was amazing! I was excited to see real snow because we don’t get snow in my country. With the winter temperatures, I prefer wearing layered clothes so that I don’t get caught with a cold or fever. Even when we have snow in Findlay, everything is easily accessible on campus, so there is less possibility to miss any the fun of college life. For instance, my house is only a few blocks away from our Old Main building where I attend most of my classes, so during the winter I’m rarely late for my classes. It only takes 5-10 minutes for me to walk in the snow.snow and Old Main

Overall, I can say that I love exploring weather over here. It has been a great experience so far and I am looking forward to explore more as time passes.

photo credits: HKmPUA via photopin cc, rocket ship via photopin cc

• Ryan

There are random toronadoes in western Ohio. Usually in the spring.

From the Blog

Wondering what it's really like to be at The University of Findlay? Follow our bloggers and read—and sometimes listen and watch—their experiences. Real Oilers. Real stories. Real life.

Barn Rodeo!

Monday morning was exciting and fun as I went to the barn to help break in the new calves for the Show Cattle Team....

Madison Simmons, RA!

So it looked and seemed like forever until it was move-in day, but it came up really fast. This year, I am honored and...

Back from Japan and back on a farm!

Now that I’m back from Japan, I stay busy working at Belle Vie Farm and doing some landscaping.  At the...

Goodbyes and Good Food!

Our last week in Japan went by super fast. The first half of the week consisted of saying our goodbyes to everyone at Rakuno...

Tokyo, Tomoya and Tomoki!

Our last three days in Japan were spent sight seeing and shopping around in Tokyo. Tokyo is a humongous city!!...

Week 2 at Rakuno Gakuen University

Our second week is done and was full of some new adventures and experiences in the animal clinic at Rakuno Gakuen University. While working...

An appetite for adventure!

(Editor’s Note: Madison is on a summer study tour for pre-veterinary medicine students at Rakuno Gakuen University in Ebetsu, Hokkaido, Japan. The University of...

What a year!

I have just finished one of the best years of my life! Finishing my first year of college feels amazing and quite an accomplishment....

Saying Goodbye

A couple weeks ago I closed my last show at Findlay.  It was bittersweet, as have been all the goodbyes I’ve said.  I know...

It’s Crunch Time!

The year has been winding down quickly! It feels like just yesterday I was moving in, meeting my roommate, unpacking my stuff, and saying...

Graduation Bucketlist

Over the course of four years it’s tough to keep track of all the things you’ve done and the things still left to do...

A Weekend in Orlando

This spring, a group of Findlay pharmacy students and faculty had the opportunity to travel down to Orlando, FL for the national American Pharmacists...

SSC

What would you say to a whole day off of classes, free food everywhere, plus students and faculty getting awards and showing...

Grief and You

Letting go is never easy, no matter how much it may be necessary.  There is no easy way to say goodbye to people and...

It’s never too early to get experience

Meet Amber Dingeldein, Findlay’s Best!

So, you must get to know the most useful resource on campus that I discovered — the Internships...